Happens; like now.
blog| story| days| etc
Just to hold my hand
Wednesday, March 7, 2012 @ 3:29 AM

Oh me, oh my.
I didn't expect to see you there! (That is you, isn't it?)
When I sat down on the weathered sofa cushions, I didn't know that was your arm around me.
My dreams are tricksters sometimes.
I looked up and through my tears I saw your long, sharp face.
And gazed at that strong jaw and intense, sad, laughing brown eyes. (Why were you laughing, I wonder...)
An arm rests around my waist, holding me close. Holding me in. You were keeping me in.
Saving me from my own sadness. But those slender fingers are not long enough
To keep me from slipping. They are meant to tease and to play and to create
Not to save. No, not to save.
I slipped, while you grasped me to your chest. The zipper on your jacket cool against my hot face.
And I loved. So tenderly, so passionately, that one. singular. moment.
And I knew right then, that I needed you there.
Even if you couldn't save me. Because you tried.
(You're trying so very hard to not be there.)
And when I woke up, and saw the real you that evening, I couldn't believe my heart.
I couldn't believe we are friends. just friends. I can not believe you don't understand. How much you meant to my dreams.
I don't understand why I want your laughing eyes to see me.
I know that
You're not my forever.
You're just an angel with long, slender fingers (Aren't you?)
And I'm just here to dream of you.
And you're just there to hold my hand.