Happens; like now.
blog| story| days| etc
The Lighthouse on Candy Island
Friday, November 6, 2009 @ 6:54 PM

Mint chocolate ice-cream dribbles down your chin where it rests, green and pearly, like an ocean gem.
It's shaped like a life preserver.
You lean forward and it sways gently, catching the dim parlor lights.
I want to reach out and touch it.
I think "You will save me."
With an odd look on your face, you lift your hand, and I am horrified to think you might wipe it away.
But your hand doesn't move back, no, instead it rises and glides towards me. My vision blurs as I watch it move closer, stomach churning. I wonder if I'm sea-sick.
I'm rattled when your soft fingers brush my chin, almost a caress.
You withdraw your arm, and I spot the small remnants of my cookie dough stuck to your hand.
Obviously embarrassed, I stumble over small words that have no meaning.
Then you smile in that sweet, crooked way you do.
"Oh, look" you say, ever so calmly "It seems I've been rescued."